A-kwadraat is a manufacturing company and offers adapted, rewarding and meaningful work to more than 500 people with a work disability. A-kwadraat is historically embedded in the business community around Turnhout with healthcare, nutrition and the printing industry as the most important sectors. The main activities of A-kwadraat are the packaging and repacking of food and non-food products, processing and finishing of graphic and promotional products, greenery services and the labeling, assembly and assembly of products for the manufacturing industry. A-kwadraat has 4 own branches and also works at the location of its customers. In 2017, a brand new building with cleanrooms for the healthcare sector was opened in Turnhout.
Co-creation with customers
Develop new services in co-creation with customers
“Proactive unburdening” is what A-kwadraat wants to stand for in the future by offering new services, products and processes to existing and new customer segments. That is why A-kwadraat asked The Argonauts to facilitate a co-creation process together with AZ Turnhout around the development of new services. The purpose of this is to better understand the strategy and needs of AZ Turnhout and to respond proactively with new services.
AZ Turnhout, however, is a complex organization with very diverse activities: A hospital is a small living environment in itself where, in addition to medical services and care provision, a lot of peripheral activities are organized: eg pharmacy, logistics, transport, catering, maintenance, etc.
Because of this complex environment, design thinking is therefore the ideal tool for efficiently mapping out the opportunities for new services to the hospital.
We have started with the selection of 3 domains that would be worked on: Pharmacy, internal and external transport and supporting services (maintenance, catering, …). After a preparatory workshop and a few interviews with internal and external stakeholders, 3 co-creation sessions were then set up with participants from A-kwadraat and various departments in the hospital. In these sessions, successively the design challenges, the pains & gains, jobs to be done and customer journeys for the different departments were mapped. A number of pilot projects were selected based on this.
The co-creation sessions have resulted in very concrete outcomes:
- A redesigned customer journey for receiving, sorting, scanning and unidose packaging of medicines that are not already covered by the False Medecine Directive. This is currently a very manual process and can be largely automated within A-kwadraat with an investment in the necessary robotics. The customized company will then take on the role of logistics medication hub for the hospital.
- A totally new way to organize the transport of medication within and between the campuses.
- More than 100 ideas to support the hospital in its operational tasks. From this, 6 priority projects were selected that can be started immediately.
- The Argonauts: Joost Thurman: email@example.com
- A-kwadraat: Tim Tilsley: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jan Boeckx, CEO
The co-creation sessions have given a boost to our relationship with AZ Turnhout. We are now setting up specific pilot projects and preparing investments
Tim Tilsley, Marketing & Sales Manager
Never thought that design thinking can be such a powerful tool to do business development. Not only hundreds of ideas emerged from this, but the translation was immediately made into concrete new business